One trend that is gaining in popularity in Coffs Harbour commercial fit-outs is the addition of plants in our work environments. With our beautiful sub-tropical climate and amazing landscapes, it makes sense that more and more Coffs Harbour businesses are bringing the outdoors inside. The benefits of design inspired by nature, known as biophilic design, are not only making our workspaces visually more appealing but there are numerous health benefits for including plants into your commercial fit-out.
Gone are the days of a lone pot plant tucked away in the corner or using artificial plants. Today’s green commercial fit-outs include living walls, vertical gardens, overhead gardens, wall dividers with plants, indoor gardens, water features and more. X-Corp Building Services can discuss your green vision during the briefing process and incorporate these features into your next project so that your commercial fit-out is both functional and beautiful.
We recently completed a project for McDonalds Coffs Harbour which features the use of varied greenery and plants within its internal dining area. See McDonalds Coffs Harbour project.
The benefits of plants and greenery in your work environment include:
- Improved air quality. Many indoor plants have the ability to filter pollutants and are very effective at removing chemicals such as benzene, trichloroethylene, and formaldehyde from the air, making it cleaner for humans to breathe.
- Increased productivity. The University of Exeter found that an employee’s productivity can jump by 15% simply by filling their work environment with a handful of houseplants. Adding just one plant per square metre improved memory retention and helped employees score higher on other basic tests. Looking at nature can shift the brain into a different processing mode, making employees feel more relaxed and better able to concentrate.
- Reduces stress. Proponents of colour psychology argue that the colour green has a relaxing and calming effect and contact with nature can shift highly stressed people to a more positive emotional state. Studies continually suggest that indoor plants in a work environment lead to a decline in tension, anxiety, depression, anger and fatigue.
- Reduces sickness. Environments that incorporated natural elements reported a 15% higher wellbeing score and a decrease in symptoms of ill health, including fatigue, concentration problems, dry skin and irritation of the nose and eyes. Plant-associated bacteria could also help to avoid outbreaks of pathogens by enhancing microbial biodiversity and balancing the complex network of the ecosystem.
- Visual benefits. The inclusion of indoor green spaces offers both customers and colleagues alike a visually enhanced perception of your space. An office teeming with vibrant greenery will also convey a positive brand image to your clients and is more likely to retain staff than a plant-less environment.
If you have a vision for incorporating more natural elements into your next commercial fit-out on the Coffs Coast, call X-Corp on (02) 6651 8439 for more information.